Unitarian Universalists have a legacy of “deeds not creeds.” Our justice efforts are grounded in our call to break down divisions, heal isolation, and honor the interconnectedness of all life. We model these commitments by being a just, welcoming, and inclusive congregation. We act in partnership with groups and communities most impacted by injustice.
Our congregation focuses on key priorities:
UUCMC’s Social Justice Committee provides opportunities for spiritual and personal growth through meaningful action that has an impact on the world outside our congregation. We sponsor programs to directly engage members and friends of UUCMC in social action and provide information and education to the congregation on social justice issues of importance to us. Our Share the Plate program provides direct support to organizations serving those in need.
We engage with other organizations outside UUCMC and let the UUCMC community know about opportunities to attend or volunteer at activities sponsored by these other organizations, like the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA).
The UUA’s ministry includes service, education, advocacy, and public witness (the spiritual practice of taking a public position in support of justice). Their Side with Love campaign harnesses the power of love to end oppression. The UU College of Social Justice provides experiential learning opportunities to deepen the work of justice for people of all ages. Their work is led by staff at the UUA, congregational leaders, and a wide variety of coalition partners and UU groups focused on justice and identity. You can subscribe to the UUA’s justice email newsletters to get campaign updates, learn what UUs are doing, and participate in local and national events.
We also encourage members to get involved with UU Faith Action of NJ and its six task forces to influence legislation and public policy broadly in New Jersey.
The Social Justice Committee consists of 19 task forces and activities that have the function of providing direct support for those in need, educating members and friends about specific issues, or advocating for change. We are always looking for more people to help or to start new activities.
Get involved with the Social Justice Committee
Here are some opportunities to take action NOW. To participate, email Chairperson Tony Giordano: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Prepare and serve suppers for homeless families for the Family Promise project at Middletown United Methodist Church.
- Help organize UUCMC volunteers and sponsors, and participate in the Red Bank CROP Walk each October.
- Volunteer to serve lunch at the Bayshore Soup Kitchen in Keyport.
- Join the Climate Change Action Team.
- Join the Racial Justice Task Force.
- Join the Corruption of our Democracy Task Force.
- Join the Sanctuary Working Group, aligned with Casa Freehold and working on immigration issues.
- Join the Social Justice Committee where you can participate in planning and organizing upcoming events.
- Help lead our new Environmental Justice Team.
- Seek out timely information on an issue and update our bulletin boards.
- Organize an Action Alerts email list to push information on time-sensitive social action opportunities to people who opt-in to receive alerts.
- Become a Champion for an issue that you care about, and develop programs to educate and engage UUCMC.