Unitarian Universalists have a legacy of “deeds not creeds.” Our justice efforts are grounded in our call to break down divisions, heal isolation, and honor the interconnectedness of all life. We model these commitments by being a just, welcoming, and inclusive congregation. We act in partnership with groups and communities most impacted by injustice.
Our congregation focuses on key priorities:
UUCMC’s Social Justice Committee provides opportunities for spiritual and personal growth through meaningful action that has an impact on the world outside our congregation. We sponsor programs to directly engage members and friends of UUCMC in social action and provide information and education to the congregation on social justice issues of importance to us.
We engage with other organizations outside UUCMC and let the UUCMC community know about opportunities to attend or volunteer at activities sponsored by these other organizations, like the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA).
The UUA’s ministry includes service, education, advocacy, and public witness (the spiritual practice of taking a public position in support of justice). Their Standing on the Side of Love campaign harnesses the power of love to end oppression. The UU College of Social Justice provides experiential learning opportunities to deepen the work of justice for people of all ages. Their work is led by staff at the UUA, congregational leaders, and a wide variety of coalition partners and UU groups focused on justice and identity. You can subscribe to the UUA’s justice email newsletters to get campaign updates, learn what UUs are doing, and participate in local and national events.
Get involved with the Social Justice Committee
Here are some opportunities to take action NOW. To participate, email: email@example.com.
- Prepare and serve suppers for homeless families for the Family Promise project at Middletown United Methodist Church.
- Help organize UUCMC volunteers for the Red Bank CROP Walk each October.
- Participate in the CROP Walk (get a sponsor form in the Community Room on the Sundays leading up to the walk).
- Get involved with the UU Legislative Ministry of NJ (influencing state policy & legislation).
- Volunteer to serve lunch at the Bayshore Soup Kitchen in Keyport.
- Join the Climate Change Action Team.
- Join the Racial Justice Task Force.
- Join the Corruption of our Democracy Task Force.
- Join the Sanctuary Working Group, aligned with Casa Freehold and working on immigration issues.
- Join the Social Justice Committee where you can participate in planning and organizing upcoming events.
- Seek out timely information on an issue and update our bulletin boards.
- Organize an Action Alerts email list to push information on time-sensitive social action opportunities to people who opt-in to receive alerts.
- Become a Champion for an issue that you care about, and develop programs to educate and engage UUCMC.